Thursday, February 24, 2011

Entry 5: In which I marvel at the rapid passage of time.

Recently a friend of mine started a new blog.
Which reminded me of the existence of my own blog.
And, I can't believe it's been over half a year since my last post. Where did the time go?

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to start writing in my diary again. It is the same diary someone gave my for my high-school graduation. That was almost eight years ago. I haven't even used up half the pages, because so much time slips by between my random entries. Where did the time go?

Just yesterday I was on my honey-moon. No, forget that... Just yesterday I was seventeen, just figuring out how to flirt (yeah, I was kind of a late bloomer), and wouldn't meet my husband for another two years. Now I have three children, am approaching my 5-year anniversary, and my husband and I are looking for a 3-bedroom house we can rent for cheap because we keep needing more room as our family grows. (We also would like a cheap mini-van. If anyone knows of where we could find either of these things in the Traverse City area, please let me know!) That innocent and flighty seventeen-year-old disappeared nine years ago. Where, oh where, did the time go?

It seems like every time I make a resolution to make more time, I get less. I think, I'm going to make an effort to call my sister/best friend/mom every week just to say "hi." Two months later I realize... it's two months later. Or, I'm going to read the Bible every day. I think I'm doing great, but when I look at my reading schedule I realize it's been three weeks. Sometimes, I feel like I'm in that Adam Sandler movie, "Click," except I did not buy the stupid remote and did not choose to skip portions of my life... It just happens anyway! What on earth is going on here? Am I the only one who seems to lose chunks of my life like this?

I'm guessing I'm probably not the only one, but I'm also guessing someone has figured out a solution to this problem. So I want to ask you today, how do you keep from losing track of time? What do you do that keeps you from taking time for granted? How do you keep doing the "important things" on a regular basis, instead of sporadically? Because for me, sporadically is about as good as it gets. And the worst part is, unless I write down the last time I did something, I don't even realize it's been a long time.

I hope this post isn't too depressing. Rest assured, there are some really important things that I usually don't neglect (spending time with my children and husband, for one). But it just seems like I should be able to do more, more often. So, any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment