Thursday, April 14, 2011

Entry 7: In which I extol my husband's amazing decorating abilities.

You know how in older books and movies, when a place is bare and spartan, a character will say it needs "a woman's touch"? (You don't hear that as much anymore... it's probably considered sexist, haha.)
Generally, our culture acknowledges that women care more about making things pretty, while men care more about making them practical.
For some reason, in my marriage, this particular gender stereotype is almost completely reversed.
Example: My family and I moved into a new house about a month ago. While unpacking everything, my chief concern was getting everything put away, but my husband's was making it all look nice. I figured we could probably put our box of home decor in the basement; we'd be so busy organizing we wouldn't need it for a while. My husband had different plans; only two or three days after we moved in, all of our wall plaques, figurines, picture frames, and scented candles were artistically placed all over the house (even though our clothes were still in garbage bags piled all over our bedroom and we were still sleeping on mattresses on the floor because our beds hadn't been put together yet). This seemed a little weird to me, but then, I'm glad my husband got the decorating done while he had the time to do it. If he had left it for me to do, I wouldn't have had a clue where to put anything. Thanks to him, the house looks great.
This is just another way in which we are perfect for each other.
Those of you who have been following this blog for a while may have noticed that it is no longer plain and boring-looking. As of yesterday, it is not only beautiful, but decorated in a style which suits me perfectly. I just wanted everyone to know they have my husband to thank for that.
Thank you, honey.

1 comment: